Eye problems

If you are having problems with your eyes, visiting an optician is often the best place to start.

NHS optician services

Opticians are open for routine treatments including:

Treatment may be free if you meet the eligibility criteria.

Sometimes opticians may be able to help with other minor eye issues.

See things that NHS optician services can help with
  • eye tests to see if you need glasses
  • checking for signs of eye disease
  • referrals to hospital eye clinics for more tests

The Minor Eye Conditions Service (MECS)

The Minor Eye Conditions Service (MECS) provides assessment and treatment for people with recently occurring minor eye problems.

It is an NHS service provided by accredited optometrists (also commonly called opticians). 

The service is eligible for all patients.

See things that The Minor Eye Conditions Service (MECS) can help with
  • red eye or eyelids
  • dry, gritty or uncomfortable eyes
  • eye irritation and inflammation
  • a lot of recent discharge from the eye or watery eye
  • recently occurring flashes or floaters
  • painful eye
  • ingrowing eyelashes
  • recent and sudden loss of vision
  • foreign body in the eye

If you need urgent help:

Contact us or NHS 111 today if you have:

  • recent and sudden loss of vision
  • moderate to severe pain
  • severe headache
  • eye discomfort in bright light (photophobia)
  • unequal or misshapen pupils, or abnormal pupillary reactions
  • pain on pupillary constriction
  • red sticky eye in a baby under 28 days old

Go to A&E or call 999 if:

you have a serious injury to your eye including:

  • an injury involving glass
  • high-speed injury (for example injuries occurring while hammering or chiseling)
  • a sharp object has stabbed you in or around the eye
  • chemical eye injury

Request an appointment at the surgery

If the services above are not suitable, you can request an appointment at the surgery.